ARDMORE DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
410 W MAIN ST • ARDMORE, OK 73401
(580) 223-6162 • Fax: (580) 223-7825
Public and private funding alike create a sense of community spirit and pride, easily seen in the many public parks, performance and sports centers, memorials, and holiday displays that enhance life in Ardmore, Oklahoma.
The Goddard Center for the Visual and Performing Arts stands today as a testimonial to the dream of Ethel McClure Goddard, Ardmore educator and librarian. Dedicated to the memory of her husband, Charles B. Goddard, the Center provides Southern Oklahoma with a vital cultural complex serving theatre, dance, music and visual art.
The Goddard Trust set forth the administration of the Center, naming the trustees of the Primary and Advisory Boards, whose continuing commitment is tribute and dedication to her ideas.
Planned to provide a home for the arts in the community, Larry London and Ethel Goddard collaborated to plan the design for the Center. Detailed and rendered by Flood, Isenberg & Hann, the Center is constructed of concrete sheathed in aggregate and brick.
Seven arched portals beckon the visitor to an entrance enchanted by verde antique marble with a new sculpture garden. A spacious lobby provides access to the theatre, the library/board room, volunteer and administrative offices and four art galleries.
In Memorial Square near downtown Ardmore, Oklahoma The Oil Patch Warrior stands in silent tribute to the energy industry and to the veterans who fought for the American freedom we enjoy today.
This Ardmore, Oklahoma statue is a replica of a similar statue dedicated in Great Britain in 1991.
During World War II, Noble Drilling Corporation – an Ardmore, Oklahoma company – drilled for oil in Great Britain’s Sherwood Forest in order to provide the Brits with a continuing source of energy in the face of Germany’s attempt to cut off oil imports.
The brick walkway through Memorial Square displays the name, rank armed forces branch, and years of service of Ardmore area citizens who fought to preserve our way of life.
An integral part of Memorial Square is the black granite wall listing the names of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country.
Football is big in Oklahoma. And in Ardmore, civic pride is big as well. During the late evening of a crisp, Ardmore autumn you can hear the roar of 4,500 screaming Ardmore Tiger Football fans, cheering their team to victory in the Noble Stadium.
A donation in excess of one million dollars from the Noble Foundation was matched by other community members and businesses, and augmented with an overwhelming 70% bond vote to build the stadium.
Noble Stadium features an 8-lane Latex running track encircling the football field. The stadium is utilized by Ardmore students from 7th to 12th grade, and hosts a number of regional sports events and meets.
The 45,000 sq. ft. convention center was complete in the summer of 2004. For a city the size of Ardmore, Oklahoma the convention center is a remarkable achievement.
Recognizing the growth and expansion that can accompany a convention center, the citizens of Ardmore, Oklahoma turned concept from dream to reality – by passing a tourism tax to fund its construction.
The Center is designed to serve the residents of Ardmore, Oklahoma as well as attract new people, businesses, and revenues to the town.
Ardmore Regional Park is the newest addition to our city park system. Here you can find a lake, disc golf, a softball complex, hiking and jogging paths, a skatepark, and playground equipment for the young.
Each December, Regional Park is transformed into a winter wonderland called the Festival of Lights. As with so many of Ardmore’s amenities, private donations helped create the premier Christmas light display in Southern Oklahoma.
Listed in the National Historic Registry, Ardmore’s popular Dornick Hills Golf & Country Club is one of the oldest and most prestigious clubs in Oklahoma. It boasts the first Oklahoman golf club affiliation with the United States Golf Association, as well as being the site of numerous tournaments including the Ardmore Open, a PGA tour event, from 1952 to 1954. It is also home to the clubs signature event "The Oilmen's" since 1963, and the premier college event of the region "The Maxwell" for over 10 years.
Dornick Hills was built in 1914 by Perry Maxwell on what was previously the Maxwell's dairy farm. This was the first golf course he designed and built. The renowned golf course architect went on to design and build over 70 courses including Southern Hills and Prairie Dunes, both in the top fifty courses in the world.